DIY -TRANSFERRING TYPOGRAPHY TO FURNITURE

Monday, February 11, 2013


I've been asked how I get graphics on my furniture a lot lately and thought I'd share a few different ways to do it yourself.  Here's one of the first dressers that I painted a graphic on.

After all the pieces of furniture we have transformed this one is still one of my favorites.  I remember thinking how much I loved it when we finished it but at the same time wondering if anyone else would!

We've done several pieces that we've painted some type of graphic on and it's funny how you get attached to them after all of the time put into each one.  Here are a few of our favorite one's to date:







Painting graphics or typography onto your furniture is pretty easy actually all you need to do is take your time.  I'll share with you a few ways that I've done it and then you can just experiment until you find one your comfortable with.

Here's a few ways to transfer your graphic:

1.  By using BLOCK POSTERS.  It's a free online service that allows you to "blow up" your image and trace it onto your piece of furniture.  The Graphics Fairy has a great explanation here. 

2.  Use wax paper!  All you need to do is cut your wax paper down to the size of a regular sheet of printer paper.  Reverse your image and then print in on your wax paper.  Lay your freshly printed (wet) wax paper onto your furniture.  Be careful not to drag your image.  Hold it right above your piece and go straight down.  This is obviously best for small projects.  Just google wax paper method, there are lots of tutorials out there for you.

3.  Graphite paper is an awesome tool as well.  Print out your design and use the graphite paper to trace your design onto your furniture.  Again, best used for those small projects.

4.  Pencil lead -- if you can't find graphic paper, are in your jammies and don't want to head to town then use a pencil.  Turn over your graphic print out, color in the back with the pencil and then lay it right side up on your piece of furniture and trace.  The pencil lead will transfer the image.  

There are lots of ways to transfer graphics out there, these are just some of the ones that I have used and require no expensive tools.  

I hope you find one that works well for you and most of all GOOD LUCK!  Just know that you will be addicted after your first piece!

I hope you'll stop back by on Friday.  I'll be sharing my favorite transformation to date.  It's a tribute to my goodlooking firefighting hubby!

Till then,
Clydia

Linking up to...

Enter your email
to have THREE MANGO SEEDS posts sent to your inbox.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner
 
site design by designer blogs