Outdoor Spaces

Monday, May 21, 2012


We are always outdoors doing something, weeding beds, planting, playing or mowing. I thought I'd show you what our outdoor space looks like now after all the work we did a couple of months ago getting the soil ready.

 Enjoying all these blooms now because soon it'll be so hot that they'll be gone.

We did a lot of work getting our raised beds ready.

Quite a difference a couple of months make don't you think?

We had an old timer friend give us some secret gardening advice.  The secret to a big, bountiful garden is FISH HEADS!  When we planted this year we added aspirin, bone meal, fertilizer, empty egg shells and a fish head to the hole, sprinkled a little good dirt then the plant.  Its worked!  Our plants are more than double the size they were last year.  Some of you may have already known this little tid bit but it was news to us and we're so happy someone shared this with us.

 
 Wow!  We've already gotten peppers, have bunches of little green tomatoes in there, green beans and squash.  I can't wait to make lots of homemade salsa this summer.


Weeping Willows are my most favorite tree.  We planted a couple last year and they have done wonderful.



So we decided to add three more this year.  The ones we planted last year were smaller than this so you can tell they've grown really fast too.  Can you tell I'm impatient?  Everything I plant must be fast growing!



I'm not quite sure what this plant is but I love the little white flowers.  We planted it next to our AC to help give it some shade during our sizzling summers here in Oklahoma.  It's growing fast so hopefully by June it'll do the trick.



Most of our Photina's from last year are doing good except for the three we had to return.  I'm kinda bummed because I was hoping they would all grow at the same rate along this fence, however now they take a nose dive down to the new ones.  Although, we tried this fish head treatment on the new ones so maybe they'll catch up!



We have a big front porch that just seems like its wasted space.  
 Sorry for the night time photo.  We have a favorite place in Branson that we love to stay at and it has a nice outdoor dining space where we eat breakfast when we are there.  I would love to add an outdoor dining set here.  I've been scouring Craigslist but so far no luck.  Cross your fingers for me that I can find a good deal soon.


We also have some love birds nesting on our back porch.  They obviously have the best of everything back there because they are eating all of Marley's dog food and having evening baths in his water bowl.


Sorry -- I couldn't get them to sit still for their close up, but there are babies up there.  So that's my garden/yard update for now.

So do you have a garden this year?  Got any cool tips you want to share?  I'd love to hear them.
 
site design by designer blogs