MY FIRST REUPHOLSTERING PROJECT & THE HGTV FABRIC LINE!

Monday, April 15, 2013

Did you know that HGTV has created their very own home fabric collection that is now available exclusively at JOANN'S?  Take a quick peek at this short video where Meg Caswell, Season 6 DesignStar winner shares about this amazing new fabric line.



A couple of weeks ago I was contacted about doing a review & letting you guys know just what I thought about it.  I've wanted to try my hand at reupholstering a french style chair so here we go!




This is going to be a picture heavy post!

Here's what my package contained:  An HGTV magazine, two different print fabrics ( 1 yard each) and a yard of trim.

Here's what I used:

This is the antique chair that I began with.

  
We started by removing an arm to allow the seat buttom cushion to be removed and then the trim around the seat back cushion.  The trim was only glued on so I just pulled it off with needle nose pliers.  Getting the fabric off was a little more tricky with all the glue that was previously used.



We took our time and went slow so we could save the old fabric and use it as a template when we were ready to cut.  There were about a ba-zillion staples to pull then the old fabric and foam backing just lifted right out.


We started on the bottom cushion by removing the white covering on bottom and starting on more staples to remove the old fabric. Luckily for us everything was in good shape so all we needed to do after removing all the old fabric was replace it with the new beautiful HGTV fabric.


Here's our chair after it's been stripped of its clothing!


The bones of the chair were actually in really good shape.  The only thing we did was go over it again with a dark walnut stain, let it dry and then seal it.


Now the nerve wracking part of cutting the fabric.  I really was worried about not getting the design centered, making a mistake and then not having enough fabric.  Especially since we totally winged this entire project -- there were seriously a couple of moments when I asked myself why in the world I just didn't sew some dang pillows! Ha!

I just laid out the top/bottom pieces that I had kept when taking it apart and used those as templates.  I wound up cutting it quite a bit bigger just to be sure I had plenty of room.




Putting it all back together was pretty simple.  We definitely took our time just to make sure we did it all right but I was surprised at how quickly this project moved along.

This probably isn't the right type of staple gun but its all we had so we went with it!


The back side is on.  Laying the seat back cushion.


We just repeated the same process to attach the front piece.  Covering the bottom cushion was a cinch!  This fabric is so thick and wonderful to work with.  Looking good so far.


Covering the bottom went just as quickly.


The above picture looks a little orangey so here's a couple closeups to show you the colors a little better.


The last thing I did was to glue the new trim on in order to cover all those staples.


We didn't wind up using the HGTV trim to finish it off simply because we didn't have enough, but I think this rope trim looks great with the fabric.


and here it is all finished up!






JOANN's is having a HUGE sale right now online & in store through April 20th, 2013.  Looks like most of the fabric is 50% off!

  Plus, to sweeten the deal I have a special  10% coupon from HGTV just for you all!  Suh-Weet!  

Here's your coupon:

UPDATE:  Check this out! 
 Just got the deets on a 15% coupon good from May 2nd - May 4th for the HGTV Home Fabric available at JoAnn's Fabric Stores.
Click here to print your coupon.


I was supplied with the fabric's for this project by HGTV & JoANN's.  All opinions are my own.
Linking up to:  Cupcakes & Crinoline , 504 Main, What's Shakin, Alderberry Hill,


Enter your email
to have THREE MANGO SEEDS posts sent to your inbox.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


24 comments:

  1. This chair is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the info about Jo-ann carrying the fabric line.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job. You did exactly what I wanted to do. HGTV sent me the same fabric and I way trying to get a chair from Craigslist to reupholster. I am pinning this to remind me to keep looking for a chair to do this to. I LOVE how yours came out. I hope you will link it up to my Swing into Spring party that opens each Tuesday evening at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just at Joanns I will have to pay closer attention next time ;) You did a fabulous job on that chair! I love the fabric and that you used two different patterns. What a great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that chair! I really love the mix of fabrics that you used ... you've inspired me to do the same with a chair that I just rescued from the curb. Beautiful new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic and I love the fabrics! You did a fabulous job and thank you so much for sharing this...you're inspiring me to re-do my dining chairs, which desperately need a little love. :) Have a great week! ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Looks AWESOME! How fun is that fabric from HGTV? Thanks for sharing this! You just rock! ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This isn't the first time I've seen that trim can be hot glued on, so why do I have a fear of doing that? It looks fairly easy to do, and I can cut and glue, but still I think mine won't look good!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chair looks so classy and elegant with the new fabric. I think leaving the chair in a stain finish really complements the fabric. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing the new HGTV fabric line with us and telling us about the sale at JoAnn's. I'm in the market for some fabric...so this is perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a serious *crush* with all things "furniture" and simple upholstery. This tute was great and really showed how to do a chair like this. I have a Mod wing-back that I've tried a few times to recover, but it's just gotten the better of me and will end up taking it to someone to have it redone. I love the shape, so I won't give up on her!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chair turned out beautiful. I love the mix of patterns on it! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! You make reupholstering seem so simple. I'm terrified of trying it myself!

    You've found a new follower in me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That chair looks fantastic! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh I love it girl, LOVE the fun colorful fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am trying to figure out how I missed this one!????
    ah..I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! Is it true that you didn't have to use a sewing machine..just staple gun and glue gun???
    Oh please let it be true!
    It turned out just fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hugs
    Karin
    www.artisbeauty.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! I have a chair just like that waiting on me to attempt. You made it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job! I love the new look!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's gorgeous!! And I love the wood with that fabric!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the chair and that fabric combination makes such a fun and fabulous statement!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you are talented!! Looks fabulous. I will have to check out that fabric line:)
    Krista @thehappyhousie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, goodness, that's gorgeous!! What a transformation! Loving it. Thanks so much for entering One Crafty Contest!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing! It looks so fresh and modern now! We literally just got a JoAnn's a couple weeks ago right down the road from me. Woohoo!

    Natashalh

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the chair..so much detail! And the fabric is perfect (and right up my alley! ;) ) Nice job!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I love it! The two fabrics go wonderfully together on one chair!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, they make my day and I read each one! So, thank you very much for taking the time to leave one!

 
site design by designer blogs