CANCER FUND - CANCER SUCKS!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Hello friends!  I'm not even sure where to begin because I've never been in a situation where I feel totally useless and I've never felt like I needed to ask for help before.  

But I am now -- because its for my mom.  I would do anything, even step out of my comfort zone, to help my mom.

My mom has been fighting skin cancer for sometime now.  She's had to endure several surgeries and with the completion of each procedure, she has felt restored because the doctor "got it all."  However, not long after going under the knife, each time the cancer would rear its ugly head again.  

The cancer is on my mom's face, her nose to be specific.  Obviously, the nose is fairly small, so there isn't much to lose to begin with.

This last round of cancer has left my mom without a nose.  Her cancer physician sent her to the best plastic surgeon in Oklahoma, that specializes in reconstruction after facial cancer.  In short, he told her there wasn't anything he could do for her, she would need to consider prothestics. 

To say that she is devastated would be an understatement.  

Right now we are in the unknown period, waiting for more doctors appointments and wondering how in the world my parents are going to pay for everything.

As we speak, my mom is recovering at home with basically no nose and a special type of bandage that is sewn into her skin over the hole the cancer left.

My parents have been told there is a wonderful surgeon in Arizona that specializes in nose prosthetic's after cancer.  We are waiting for another appointment next week to see what the next step will be.  In the meantime, my mom sits at home because she is too embarrassed to go out in public.  My heart is breaking for everything that she has been through and continues to have to walk through because of this stupid disease called cancer.

The family has set up a cancer fund at our local bank and we are hopeful that everyone would give something, even if its only a dollar.

One dollar given by many could make a giant impact on the medical bills that are already here and the ones that are coming.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for helping, no matter the amount.  Just know that it is greatly appreciated and every penny will be used for medical expenses.


{UPDATE 3/17/14 -- Thank you all so much for sharing AND giving.  The response to my post has been overwhelming and so very much appreciated.   Mom was scheduled to receive her prosthetic nose on March 6th, but that has been delayed.  I will keep you posted -- Thanks again!!

{UPDATE 7/29/2014 -- Again, thank you all so much for the words of wisdom as well as your generous gifts!  Mom has gotten her first prosthetic nose and things are going well.  There are still hurdles to jump and bridges to cross but for now things are good.  The cancer is gone...Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day and I read each one! So, thank you very much for taking the time to leave one!

 
site design by designer blogs