Side Table Makeover with Faux Mercury Glass

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I finally finished a new furniture project.



I've been doing lots of painting lately, just not any furniture painting.  Sunday afternoon I decided to mess around with this little side table and see what I came up with.  This is how it looked when I started...


I quickly covered up the Marigold color with Latte Ice then sealed it with shellac.


After that I applied one coat of Sweet Cream to the body of the table and Black Tie to the top.


Already looking much improved, don't you think?

I didn't take pictures of this step, but I wet distressed the Sweet Cream to reveal a bit of the Latte Ice underneath.


This little side table also had a piece of plain glass on top.  I decided to create a faux mercury glass finish on it .  If you've ever tried to photograph a mirror then you'll know it ain't easy!  Bare with me through these next few pics.  This is what my piece of glass looked like after cleaning my glass and one coating of looking glass spray, vinegar and water.


With the second coat I was already beginning to see the mirror effect.


**TIP** Be sure to allow each coat to fully dry before beginning the next coat.  I did 3 coats to achieve this look.


There was a very worn wood frame that encased the glass and I left that natural but sealed it and the table with a liquid wax.



Completely finished in a couple of hours and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.



Thanks for stopping by!  If you like it too, then we'd love for you to share it.


And if you aren't already, follow along with us on Instagram where we share as we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day and I read each one! So, thank you very much for taking the time to leave one!

 
site design by designer blogs