Stock Farm Buffet

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I thought that I had bit off more than I could chew with this one.  My sweet man even thought this one might end up in the fireplace as kindling.  But as luck would have it, we saved it!


Here's how we transformed this ugly duckling into one of my favorite pieces of furniture yet!


See what I mean?  The back was literally falling apart, the top was held on by nails and you didn't dare lean on it for fear it would topple over and completely fall apart.  It was bad!

My best friend/handyman/best guy I know took it apart and with wood glue & screws put this thing back together again.  Added some bracing, beadboard & shelving to finish it off.


Now the fun part {for me anyway} deciding what to do with it!  I used to paint everything black.  I haven't done that in a long time and figured it would hide a lot of imperfections with all the bracing we had to do on this buffet/dresser/side table so black it is!


After two coats of black I turned my attention to the top.  If you've read my blog for very long you know how much I love typography.  I can't stand to see raw wood not painted {sometimes there is an exception} and I can't not paint something on top!

I looked around the Graphic's Fairy {I so love her site} but couldn't find anything that really spoke to me other than frenchy images.  I really wanted this one to be more "country" if you know what I mean.  So I found some vintage {1800's} invoices that were from hog/chicken/cattle farmers.  Changed it up a bit and came up with this...


The original invoice was actually dated 1896 and was from a breeder in Tennessee.  

After several coats of sealer this is what we got from that ugly old dresser.


And here's a closer look at the top and hardware.  I drooled over this hardware!  I wanted this because of the hardware. LOL


Just so you know, I wanted to keep this one bad.  I even thought out a rational reason why we should keep it and had my story all ready.  However, it was shot down because we have no room and where I wanted to put it would have broken up our matching dining room set.  I guess he didn't hear me when I said matchy matchy is so out of style these days!

However, he saw my troubled expression and agreed that if it didn't sell within the consignment time frame at the Depot then I can bring him home!  So, is it weird that I'm hoping it doesn't sell?
Pin It
UPDATE:  It sold in two days!



Enter your email
to have THREE MANGO SEEDS posts sent to your inbox.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


 
site design by designer blogs