~SLIPCOVERED DOG CRATE~

Monday, March 21, 2011

WARNING!  For those of you who may be reading this that can sew, please do not eat me alive!  LOL  This is my first attempt at sewing...I've never owned a sewing machine, much less threaded one or put thread on a bobbin until my mom gave me her old machine.

Last Valentines Day we surprised our three kiddos with a miniature Dachshund.  His name is Marley.  We should've called him Tigger cause he jumps straight up in the air to get our attention -- he's not a happy camper in this pic because he has his coat on.  It's COLD!



The dog cage we have is not very visually appealing so at only $9 for a drop cloth and a free sewing machine I really didn't think I had anything to lose {except time} if this didn't turn out well. 

Here's what I did...
  
1.  Washed/dried the drop cloth aka beautiful burlap!

2.  Ironed it.

3.  Laid it out on the floor and used a yard stick to measure the top/back & sides of the crate.  Transferred those measurements to the drop cloth and began cutting.


4.  Next I took all the pieces and laid them {good side facing down} on the crate to make sure my measurements were correct and then pinned it all together.

5.   Began sewing it all together.  I did have to rip some stuff out and re-sew, stuck myself multiple times and read and re-read the owners manual to this new {to me} sewing machine!


6.  After I got this all sewed up and slipped it back on the crate, it looked good but it was missing something and thought I'd add a little ruffle.


7.  For the ruffle all I did was cut off an already hemmed piece of drop cloth.  Laid it out on the ironing board and began to create individual ruffles then would iron it into place so I could sew it.  I did not measure these...just eyeballed them then ironed.


8.  To add the ruffle I turned the slipcover inside out, measured how long the whole piece would need to be from top to bottom {by adding the ruffle to the slipcover} then pinned the two pieces together and stitched them together.

I'm not great at explaining I know, but I'm sure I don't know all the correct sewing terminology and pretty much just winged this whole thing!  Here is how it turned out...




For my first time sewing, I think I did a good job.  Let me just tell ya that I was pretty excited that it turned out at all and made the entire family come in more than once to see my progress.  Oh, and just so you know I think Marley is really happy with his new digs!


Enter your email
to have THREE MANGO SEEDS posts sent to your inbox.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

25 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I have a huge crate for our Lab that is just an eyesore. I think that I will be making something like this shortly.
    Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good idea. We have a huge crate,too. Right now I just have a blanket thrown over it, but I'm thinking I could cut and sew the blanket into a slipcover and then add a decorative ruffle. Thank you so much. Lucy will love it! (Actually I will really love it when I get around to making it.)
    Jane
    http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. Just what I needed. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so cute! we have just been using blankets to cover our crates, so it's about time we got crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NICE job!!! I love the pleated bottom; I am a sewer wanna-be so I can appreciate your finished project!!!

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog!

    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your daughter in the cage..lolI would love it if you added this to my new link party!
    http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/glitters-first-linky-party_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did an excellent job! You inspire me to start sewing again. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg girl that is too funny, love the one with the baby in the crate! ha. thanks for sharing this at my party!!! still loving my name sign!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little niece is adorable and Marley - I love him! I miss our little Niski so much! You did a fantastic job on the crate cover! It's so pretty and such a clever idea! I can't believe you're not a professional seamstress! ;)

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  10. great idea and awesome first round at sewing! definitely impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing job!!! I'm SOOOO impressed!! I just love your blog, so I've awarded you a Stylish Blogger Award. Please go to this link and follow the instructions: http://mnukgirl.blogspot.com/2011/03/stylish-blogger-award.html
    Look forward to hearing from you...and Bob's your uncle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this is brilliant! Has MMS seen this? I know she would love it! (a huge fan of her too). So wonderful to 'meet' you here in your lovely blog. I cannot believe this is your first sewing attempt ever - you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you SO MUCH for linking up to WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!!! Great entry:) LOL at the Sew WARNING! And I think ya "Dun goood!" Loks like a PRO did it...

    Hope to see you next Wednesday!
    I would s love for you to Grab my Whassup Wednesday button when ya get a chance :)

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent idea - the ruffle was the perfect touch! LOL at your niece... my boys did the same thing with our lab's crate except they had the dog inside with them. Wouldn't know this was your first time sewing. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! We have a dog crate and its also a HUGE eye-sore. Would love to cover it up with something cute like this!

    kraftingwithk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute idea fellow Okie!!! I think I may have to make me one. I hate seeing our dog crate it bothers me on a daily basis. Just found your blog cute ideas. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a clever idea...and you did a wonderful job! I am gonna pass this idea along to a friend who doesn't like the look of her dog's crate....Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been thinking that our dog cage is such an eyesore and had not even thought about covering it! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such an awesome idea! I LOVE it~! Thanks so much for showing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE IT!! I think you did an awesome job!! Especially for your first project!! That is just unbelievable!! Keep up the good work. You will never regret learning how to sew, I promise :))
    Sincerely,
    Michella

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE IT!! I think you did an awesome job!! Especially for your first project!! That is just unbelievable!! Keep up the good work. You will never regret learning how to sew, I promise :))
    Sincerely,
    Michella

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is such a great idea! It looks fantastic and I love the little "ruffle" at the bottom. Thanks for sharing it at the Blogger Block Party!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok....From another non-sewer - I'm very impressed right now! Ruffles? Wow!!! GREAT job! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG I have a mini doxie named Marley too! Funny! And even has a black spot on his tail like that!

    Your cover came out really cute...I love the pleats on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  25. For a first time try in sewing you did a great job!! Very simple and looks very very nicely done! I just got a new pup (today! yay!) and although I have a business sewing dresses for little girls, I had to turn to wonderful google to get an idea on how to sew a cover for her crate - judging by the pee spots all over my carpet, she will be spending a lot of time in the crate in the nearest future :)) I loved this tutorial and will be making one tonight so that little baby Bella at least feels comfy in there! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, they make my day and I read each one! So, thank you very much for taking the time to leave one!

 
site design by designer blogs